Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Having a roommate in Public Choice

My roommate (also one of my best friends/teammates) is in ECON 3330. He is one of the three Jacks in the class and sits next to me in the front row. Yes, there was definitely a high demand on my part of wanting Jack to be in the class with me. Not only was there high demand, but there was also a high supply in this instance because I have another roommate who is an Econ major that also applied to get into this class, but he did not get into the class :( (still 1/3 roommates in the class). At first, I only thought there would be marginal benefits of having Jack in the class, with no marginal costs, but I was wrong. The negative externalities have already showed themselves within two weeks of classes starting. For starters, Jack and I have many of the same t-shirts. Two out of three days of class so far we have matched. How am I suppose to have any since of originality in my clothing if I am matching with the person who sits besides me. Secondly, and more important, we have basically identical schedules. We have the same practice schedule, four out of five classes together, attend the same church/bible study, and live in the same apartment. Anything that I experience, Jack experiences. This becomes a problem in the blog because we both cannot blog about the same experience. Immediately after class today we talked back and forth with each other about how each one of us has the best idea for a negative externality that we could post on. It turns out that we had the same exact one. Jack called dibs before I could so he took ownership of the idea. I am now realizing that the marginal benefit of Jack being in Econ 3330 is not as high as I thought it was, meaning that I (the consumer of Jack being in the class) am not having as much surplus as I once thought I had. We have yet to decide the solution to this negative externality, but I am sure we will come up with something. I hope to keep the class updated and that my consumer surplus does not effect the rest of the classes social surplus of Jack being in the class.

No comments: