Saturday, October 12, 2019

Dangerous Dogs



Yes, I know what you are thinking, that is poop, specifically dog poop. Why am I posting this horrific picture on the famous econ. Blog? The answer: the negative externality of dogs and their poop. Other individuals’ dogs and their fecal matter have a huge negative impact not only on my life but on society as a whole. Gruber states, “An externality occurs whenever the actions of one party make another party worse or better off, yet the first party neither bears the costs nor receives the benefits of doing so” (Gruber Ch.5). Of course dog owners themselves obtain utility from the ownership of their dog, but there is a cost imposed on society caused by this individual’s ownership of this dog that is not considered in everyday interactions. This cost to society occurs through unscooped dog poop. For instance, walking to class I found this nasty pile of scat (pictured above) outside Monroe and almost face planted after unknowingly stepping in it (talk about a bad day). This dog owner’s “consumption” of their pet reduced my well-being, for which I was not properly compensated, resulting in a market failure. That day, I had to deal with the smell/dirt on my shoes and the overall embarrassment; a large cost imposed on me because of the actions of another. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs, but the cost on that day greatly out-weighed the small benefit I would have received if I had gotten to pet the stranger’s dog.  
 
Now, it would be nice to find a Coasian solution and be compensated for my troubles, but (no matter how much I wish) I don’t own UVA and therefore can’t claim property rights. If I were to solve this negative externality, I would suggest government intervention. Taxing all dog owners would seem ultimately unfair for the few good owners who pick up their dog’s poop, and it would validate owners to never pick up their pet’s poop because they pay a tax. Regulation seems to be the best option; a fee for not picking up after your pet. The overall damage received from this poopscapade was enough to drive me to discuss this negative externality; however, I did not even mention the environmental factors and health risks society bears from unscooped dog poo.

No comments: