Sunday, September 26, 2021

Drying Rack Dilemma/The Importance of the Starting Point

I live in an apartment with 3 other guys in my fraternity and we get along very well.  We all like playing poker on Fridays, going to UVA games on Saturdays, and grinding out work during the NFL games on Sundays.  But when it comes to our weekly deep-clean of the living room and kitchen on Mondays, we clash about the need for a drying rack for our dishes.

Over the summer, my suite mate (Evan) who lived in Charlottesville had a drying rack out next to the kitchen sink.  At the start of the year, myself and another suite mate (Max) said it was taking up too much room and that we should get rid of it.  Evan and my final suite mate (Harry) both pushed back and said that a drying rack is a kitchen essential and that it didn't take up too much room.  In short, our apartment was split 2-2 on the need for a drying rack so neither side had a majority.  But, since having the drying rack out was the starting point/status quo, it is still out in the kitchen and Max and I have had to put up with it.  Click this link for a picture of the drying rack and let me know which side you are on.

Zooming out from my dilemma, it seems our founding fathers were aware that should a 50-50 split vote occur in the Senate, the status quo would remain.  That is why they wrote Article 1, Section 3 of the US Constitution, which grants the Vice President the right to cast a tie-breaking vote and give one side the majority.


No comments: