Tuesday, November 09, 2021

“Can You Send the Notes?” and the Class Before Thanksgiving

 I’m not sure if I’m going to class the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. For a variety of reasons, from traffic to family reasons to just wanting to spend a few days with Mom’s cooking, I’m still on the fence about my attendance. But will I get sent the notes for free? Well, if class notes are a public good, I will.

But are class notes a public good? Well, let’s run it through our two-pronged test of non-rival and non-excludable. I think most of us would agree that sharing class notes with a friend does not reduce our utility. Unless we are to get into a debate about how sharing notes with a friends could change a class curve at the end of the semester, I believe we can all get behind an unchanged utility function if our friend gets sent notes from class if they’re sick. Indeed, with this definition, some Samuelsonian economists might consider it a public good.

But what about excludability? In fact, it’s probably pretty easy to exclude me from notes from a day I missed. Even if I text a friend, they could ignore me or decline. They could charge me or even engage me in a bidding war for a picture of notes from Mr. Coppock’s lecture.

But what about socially? If a friend texted you, asking for notes from a day they were sick, would you really ask them their price? Would you ignore their text? I think not. Thus, I argue that class notes are socially non-excludable. Indeed, I can be quite dramatic. “my mom misses me dearly” “my dog wimpers each night I’m gone” “I haven’t seen my Gam Gam in years,” I could probably think of half a dozen excuses to miss class that would make you feel bad if you didn’t send me the notes. Thus, I would free ride off the attendance of others, and still gain some of the knowledge I would’ve gained from attending lecture. A classic example of a public good if you ask me.

So what’s the takeaway? Out of state kids – watch out. You have a text coming your way. I know you guys buy your flights for Tuesday evening just in case you have an exam. See you after Thanksgiving.



No comments: