Friday, September 16, 2022

Are you planning to vote this November?

I just got a call from some person trying to campaign for Jennifer Wexton, and, I must say, I think these calls are hilarious, for a number of reasons, but that's besides the point. She asked me about issues that I'm concerned about and then, "Are you planning to vote this November?" My brain naturally started thinking about Johnson and the discussion of voting that we had in class yesterday. 

I realized I don't even know who is on the ballot (well now I know Wexton is one of them), and I also began to think about the opportunity cost of voting. I'm from Gainesville, VA, so I would have to get an absentee ballot or go back home to vote. That increases my opportunity cost. What is the probability that my vote affects this election? How much utility would I get if my preferred candidate won? This is the calculus that I might consider. Maybe social costs will also be factored into the decision. A comment might influence me as well. I wanted to start spitting Public Choice content at the caller, but I held my tongue and decided to write this blog instead. 

No comments: