Sunday, November 20, 2022

Garfield for Virginia State Representative

 Election day was two weeks ago and although I did not vote myself, I did overhear a very interesting conversation between my roommates. When I heard my roommate voice their disappointment that they forgot their 'I voted' sticker (can be seen here) at home, I took the opportunity to investigate (as a diligent public choice student, obviously). It went something like this: 

"That's interesting," I said. "Would you say that's a large part of the utility you get from voting?"

She looked at me strange. "I guess? I mean it definitely has some appeal but I also vote because it's my civic duty." I was a bit taken aback by how easily she was able to identify this within herself.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Well, y'know, it's my responsibility to support the best candidate and take part in the election process. I do my research online, read about the candidates, and try to find one I like."

"And if you don't like any of them?"

"I won't hesitate to write one in. If I can't find any to write in, I'll write in a non-legitimate candidate." She chuckles. "I've written in Garfield before." Yes, Garfield, the lovable cartoon cat, with whom my roommate is somewhat obsessed.

"Garfield?"

"I write him in as a form of protest voting, and only when the other candidates really don't deserve my support."

"And the sticker helps?"

My roommate shrugs, "It's the only emotional payoff I get. Politics sucks but at least I can show others I voted."

"Yeah," my other roommate chimes in. "Part of the reason I vote is just to get people off my back. I've gotten some seriously doomsday-esque emails from professors reminding to vote because 'who knows how long we'll have the chance.'"

I learned a lot from this talk. Even though my roommate incurred costs to educate herself, she was prepared to vote for a candidate that not only wouldn't win but didn't exist. And although my roommate forgot to wear her 'I voted' sticker that day, it's now stuck to the November 8th slot on her calendar, as a meaningful memento from that day.

Who would have thought so many voting motivations could be validated in such a short conversation? I think Mueller would be proud.

No comments: