Sunday, October 01, 2023

Backseat Economist


        Grey clouds tumbled by overhead as my two roommates and I drove to the beach last weekend. Enjoying my role as "Passenger Princess" in the back, Dom horned at traffic ahead while Justin was next to him on aux. Peaceful bliss had filled the car until Luke Combs' "Fast car" came on, prompting Justin to say, "Gosh that Luke Combs is so talented for writing this song!" The look on Dom's face after hearing that, you would've thought someone chopped his arm in two. He teased Justin for not knowing that it was a cover, and that Tracy Chapman originally wrote it in 1988.

        Tensions were simmering, but luckily for Justin, I was more than a passenger princess: I was an Economist! Better yet, an Economist who paid attention in the class about ignorance! I defended Justin, explaining to Dom that Justin's opportunity cost was higher. I cited how while Dom was taking time to learn the Tracy Chapman version, Justin was working at Chick-fil-A to earn money and bring home the extra food that Dom eats for breakfast. For Justin, putting in hours at Chick-fil-A is more important than music trivia, which is why he didn't know about the original version. I told Justin not to be embarrassed by this lack of knowledge, but instead to help find ways Dom could raise his low opportunity cost. Having done my job as a Backseat Economist, I sank back in my seat as Dom begrudgingly apologized. 


No comments: