Sunday, November 19, 2023

Don't tell me what to do

Last weekend I was engaged in a political conversation with my parents and my aunt and uncle. They are all very concerned about a potential Donald Trump presidency. My beliefs are not so certain as theirs are, meaning I would not identify as a Democrat when they all would; but, I definitely tend to have more liberal beliefs. In the conversation they basically told me that I had to vote for Biden because any vote not for Biden would be beneficial for DJT. As soon as they told me I had to do something my "dont tell me what to do" hat came on. I told them that I do not need to do anything because, at the end of the day, my vote will not put Biden or Trump in office, so I can vote for either or neither and it won't make a difference. I also said I would prefer to vote for a third party candidate because I don't really like Trump or Biden. My uncle immediately said that I cant do that because if I voted for someone other than Biden it is basically a vote for Trump. They gave me compelling reasons as why another Trump presidency would be dangerous for American democracy, as well as reminding me about our family members that would be marginalized by the policies Trump would want to enact. This all has influenced my willingness to vote because of the D in p * B + D - C >= 0. D in this case is social pressure from my family and it is very powerful. I still am unsure if I will vote (either for Biden or a third candidate), but I am more compelled to vote because my family really wants me to and I would also be voting thinking of other people who would be negatively impacted more than I would from a Trump return to office.  

No comments: