Sunday, November 12, 2023

Borda Saves Diwali

Today, my suitemates and I wanted to do something to celebrate Diwali. Our options ranged from getting dinner at Kanak, lighting fireworks, watching India's cricket match against the Netherlands, or going shopping for new clothes While we had several options on what to do, we were struggling to pick just one as all of us did not have the time to do all of these activites.

All of my suitemates have taken ECON 2010, and when one of them jokingly brought up comparing our utils, my Econ brain turned on, and within a few seconds, I realized a possible solution to our problem was using the Borda Count. I quickly told my friends about this method and instructed everyone to rank the events based on their individual interests. We would assign a point value to each rank, and then sum up each event's points. The activity with the most points would be the one we would partake in.

I then created a table with everyone's preferences ranked and used a point system where 1st gets 4 points, 2nd gets 3 points, 3rd gets 2 points, and 4th gets 1 point.



Kanak Dinner

Fireworks

Watching Cricket

Clothes Shopping

Krishna

1

3

2

4

Saahas

3

2

1

4

Raj

2

4

3

1

Siva

4

3

1

2

Quinn

2

1

4

3


Kanak = 4 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 3 = 13


Fireworks = 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 12


Cricket = 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 1 = 14 (Winner)


Clothes Shopping = 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 11


After computing everything, I was able to determine that watching India's cricket match was the activity all of us would do for today, as it had received the most amount of points (14). The cricket match was fun to watch as India won their match and is now advancing to the World Cup semifinals this coming Wednesday!


No comments: