Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Sororities & Bureaucracies

     I currently hold the position of president of my sorority. I oversee eight vice presidents and each of the VPs has a few subsequent Directors that work under them as well. In a way, each of my VPs act as the Senior Bureaucrat of their ‘bureau’, which in this case is their area of expertise, whether that be managing our chapter’s finances, planning our philanthropic events, etc. Each of these VPs has their own portion of the total budget given to us by Nationals each year.

    During recruitment last year, my VP Membership was extremely conservative with her spending, in fear of running out of money. She didn’t end up spending her entire budget and nationals cut her budget for this year by a couple hundred dollars. When finding this out, she was furious. In fact, she plans to overspend so that the budget gets reset to the previous value. This directly reflects the behavior of Senior Bureaucrats who produce past Q* to use up their budgets - because the budgets will get cut if they don’t do so. 

    Each year, chapter members request more transparency on our budget and where their dues are actually going. Unfortunately, we do have a case of the monitoring problem, as the output of each VP is not necessarily measurable and quantifiable, much like the monitoring problem at the federal level. As President, I try my best to ensure that everything that absolutely needs to get done is getting done first, and only then after that do I allow frivolous spending.

No comments: