Thursday, September 19, 2024

Rain: An Original Public Good

I opened the door Tuesday morning expecting the usual September weather, only to be greeted with a downpour. My facial expression brightened–rain has always brought me joy. Dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, I strolled to class without a care in the world, reveling in the downpour as I made my way to Public Choice. Yet, while I don’t mind the rain, not all my peers share this sentiment.



Over the past few days, rain has been a constant presence across UVA grounds, provoking a mixture of opinions from the student body. In class, we discussed man-made public goods, but natural phenomena like rain can be considered a public good as well. Among many things, rain can improve moods, grow new life, cleanse the air, and contribute to a healthy ecosystem overall. Importantly, it is non-rival–my enjoyment of the rain doesn’t detract from anyone else’s. The state of our class on Tuesday morning certainly showcased this fact with students shaking out umbrellas and adjusting damp hair, all while sharing this experience together.


The other essential characteristic of public goods is non-excludability. The rain cloud passing over our city of Charlottesville doesn’t discriminate. When it rains, everyone in the area benefits and no one can be excluded, whether they embrace it or try to escape it. While rain may not be the average college students' favorite weather, there is plenty of it and everyone can enjoy it without diminishing someone else’s experience, making it a public good.

No comments: