I love live music. I am writing this as Mumford and Sons is playing at JPJ. While I wish I could go, I am going to see Sam Barber on Thursday, and I told myself I wouldn’t do two concerts in a week. But there is one thing that always makes me mad at concerts. And it’s a classic prisoner’s dilemma. Take Ting Pavilion here in Charlottesville. It has a great lawn in the back where you could set out some chairs or a picnic blanket. And yet I never do. Why? Because there are always a few people standing right in front of me blocking the view.
If we all cooperated, we could sit down, be comfortable, and enjoy the concert without sore legs from standing for hours. However, since the people in front of me are always chasing the best view by standing up, they block my view and it is rational for me to stand up as well. At this point, we have ended up with about the same view we would have had sitting down, but with tired legs and people bumping into you.
Yet, everyone is acting rationally and will stand so as not to be the seated person with his view blocked by the standing crowd. As a result, we will likely not reach the desired cooperation that maximizes comfort and view unless the event venue provides different areas where you must either sit or stand. But my solution. Just get pit tickets so you can be closer to the stage since you’re going to be standing regardless.
No comments:
Post a Comment