Sunday, October 13, 2024

Borda saves movie night!

For the past couple weeks my friends and I have been trying to find a time for movie night, now that the weather is getting slightly colder. The issue is we can’t seem to settle on which movie to watch. I want to watch La La Land, someone else wants to watch Tron, a third wants to watch Twilight and so on. We'd been labouring over this decision for a few weeks, bickering over which would be more fun to watch, and it looked set to fall apart if we couldn't decide on a film soon.

Remembering that groups of individuals can display intransitive preferences, I thought this may be a good chance to try out one of the voting methods we learnt in class. I used this google form to set up a rank-choice voting procedure (may have accidentally included an extra column, so disregard column 5). I decided on the winner using the Borda Count Method, with each first place vote being worth 4 points, second place votes being worth 3 points and so on.

Under the Borda method, the winner was (drumroll)... La La Land!



No comments: